Saturday, April 21, 2012

面煎糕/ Traditional chinese pancake

It was raining so heavily this morning that it's such a luxury to be staying at home and sleeping in. My lil boy and I actually planned to visit my brother's baby early in the morning and have our breakfast around there, but alas the rain kept us indoor. Zak was so happily playing his 3 sets of Thomas & Friends' train tracks that he doesn't want to get out of the house for breakfast too. A good opportunity for me to try out this 面煎糕 which I chanced upon at Gigi in the House blog. It is really a simple recipe and taste close to the real stuff - sprinkled with store-bought coarsely ground peanuts generously and added with lots of sugar! That's our breakfast plus 2 half-boiled eggs each, what a heavy meal to start the day!



面煎糕/ Traditional chinese pancake(yield 3 pieces of 6" pancake)

Ingredients/ Method
165g all purpose flour
2 eggs
30g caster sugar
1/2tsp yeast
210ml water

Peanut fillings
Coarsely ground peanut
Sugar

1) Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside for 30 mins.
2) Heat up a non-stick pan using low heat and pour 1/3 of the batter into it.
3) Cook for about 1 minute or so on low heat. The surface will appear to be "holey".
4) I use a sharp knife to remove the pancake from the pan, and transfer onto a plate.
5) Sprinkle any fillings you like and ready to serve.





I did a thick pancake and 2 thinner pancakes which I rolled them up. Still prefer the thick one, which taste and look so nostalgia, the way it was done when I was a little kid. Now that I don't need to spend 70cents for a small slice of 面煎糕, and can easily churned out fresh ones from my own kitchen! A keeper recipe o(^^)o

I love this picture, "peanut picking", hand model - who else but my lil Zak :D

6 comments:

The Sweetylicious said...

i love mi jiam kueh w coconut fillings! the pancake look so fluffy and yummy! (:

quizzine said...

Hi Sweetylicious,
Do give this a try with your favourite coconut fillings. U won't regret trying this ;))

Passionate About Baking said...

This really looks authentic quizzine! I must get my hands on peanuts first before I made this. Looks good, thanks for sharing!

quizzine said...

Hi Jane,
Are u thinking of frying your own peanuts? I think it will taste awesome!

Quay Po Cooks said...

OMG! this look super delicious. I must try making this at home:D Thanks for sharing the recipe.

quizzine said...

Hi Quay Po Cooks,
Yes, you should try it out! Won't regret *wink*