Thursday, July 31, 2014

云吞面 (Wanton dumpling noodles)

Now that I'm taking a long break from my career, I'm officially a SAHM. I'm enjoying the time with Z who is in primary 1 this year, and hopefully I can set some useful foundations for his curriculum and future learning. Before I took THE decision, my boy wasn't too happy that I will not be working (as he can't understand why I can "relax" at home and he has to attend school; in his own meaning, this is "unfair" that he can't choose!) There are always so many whyS from Z but I'm happily attempting to explain them all as simple as I could. A few weeks after being a SAHM, I asked Z again whether he's happy that I can be with him most of the time, thankfully his reply is a sheepish and happy 'yes'!

I'm taking lunch orders from my little master and this 云吞面 (wanton dumpling noodles) is one of his requests! (Ps. Should it be 云吞面 or 云饨面 i.e. 吞=to swallow; 饨=chinese riavoli?) The wanton is made based on my memory on how it was done together with my late mum. And what is 云吞面 without char siew?! I found one simple and easy, not compromising on taste, char siew recipe in Food Canon. I made half the portion (500g) of the original recipe (and regretted it) hehe..

I'm copying the recipe here for easy reference, please visit Food Canon blog where there are couple of write-ups on making good char siew.



叉烧肉 (Char Siew)
Ingredients/ Method
1 kg pork belly (I used 五花肉 which the butcher sold to me when I said I wanted to make Char Siew)

Marinate/Sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp honey (I used maltose)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp rose flavored chinese wine (or other chinese wine)
1 tsp 5-spice powder
1 bowl of water

2 tbsp oil

  1. Heat up wok and add in oil. 
  2. Add pork and after 5 minutes, add all ingredients into the wok and simmer for 40 mins or till the pork is tender enough. 
  3. Remove most of the sauce into a separate bowl. 
  4. Caramelise the meat in medium heat, add some maltose (or honey), about a minute or two per side. 
  5. After the char siew is done, coat lightly with some honey. (I skipped this step). 

(P.s. I think the char siew would taste even better if marinated overnight.)

云吞/ Wanton dumplings 
(makes about 80 to 100 dumplings)

Wanton skin
300g minced pork
10 prawn, deveined and chopped
5 water chestnuts, skinned and chopped
2 pieces dried 蝙鱼, toasted and pound into powder-form
Oyster sauce
light soy sauce
sesame oil
pepper
corn flour

  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. 
  2. Continue folding and kneading the pork mixture for about 10 mins. Rest the pork mixture for about 1 hour in the fridge. 
  3. To wrap dumpling, take a piece of wanton skin and put slightly more than 1/2 tsp pork mixture in the centre. Fold the skin and giving it a tight squeeze to seal it. 

To cook the dumplings
Prepare a pot of boiling water, and throw a few dumplings into the pot. It's cooked when the dumplings float on the surface of water.

To prepare soup for the dumplings
Boil soya beans and dried scallops (or anchovies) on low heat for at least half and hour. Or longer to have a more robust tasting soup. Add salt to taste.

To prepare dry 云吞面
Prepare a pot of boiling water and cook the noodles for about 3 to 5 mins (depending on type of noodle used). Scoop up the noodles and let it run under tap water, and drained.

Seasoning for noodles: Ketchup, sesame oil, oyster sauce, char siew sauce (from above), fried shallots.



No comments: