Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Crispy roast pork belly (v.2)

For the past 3 weeks, we have been eating roast pork belly once a week. Terribly unhealthy isn't it?


1st was when my friends came over to my place for a sleepover, 2nd was when I wanted to try grilling the roast pork in the oven using the previous recipe I did, and 3rd was when I made it for prayer to my late mum.

I remembered my mum making a mean roast pork belly when I was young, and I occasionally help in 'poking' the skin. Every food or desserts she prepared was always the best!! I guess I will be very plump if she's still around, which I don't mind.

Anyway back to the roast pork belly recipe which I adapted mainly from Christine's Recipes, it was good but not the taste I remembered in my younger days. My the other half liked it, but he likes roast pork belly anytime...hahah

Crispy roast pork belly
Ingredients/ Method
600g pork belly
1/4 tbsp shaoxing wine, optional (I used rose chinese wine)
rock salt, to taste

Seasoning
3/4 tsp salt (can increase slightly as the original calls for 3 1/2 tsp for 1.2kg pork belly)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp white pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp ginger powder (optional)

  1. Combine seasoning and set aside.
  2. Rinse the pork belly and blanch in boiling water for about 15 mins, or until the 60% to 70% doneness. 
  3. Drain well and wipe dry with paper towels. 
  4. Use needles to poke the rind as many hole as possible. 
  5. Turn over to other side, cut a few slits on the meat to help absorb seasoning better. (I omit this step)
  6. Rub wine evenly on entire pork. Let rest for a while.
  7. Coat the meat with seasoning evening. Make sure there's no seasoning on the rind.
  8. Wrap the pork meat with foil and leave the rind unwrapped. Place in fridge, let air dry overnight in fridge. 
  9. Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C. (I pre-heat  mine at 210 deg C)
  10. Remove pork from fridge and remove foil. Let it rest at room temperature for a while.
  11. Poke the rind with needles evenly once again. Wipe dry. 
  12. Season the rind with rock salt. (I omit this step)
  13. Bake in pre-heated oven, at middle-upper rack, for about 20 mins, and another 15 mins at 230 deg C, or until you get enough cracklings on the skin. (Baking time depends on the size of pork belly used, mine was 2 slabs of 300g which I think is too small to handle.)



2 comments:

Rumbling Tummy said...

We can never get enough of roast pork.

quizzine said...

That's right, I'm refraining myself from making one this week hehe ;)